This is a great little walk to Eilean Glas lighthouse at Scalpay, a lovely island connected by bridge to the Isle of Harris. Start from where the road ends at the southern tip of the island and take the good path all the way to the lighthouse, with the option of returning via a somewhat boggy but very rewarding coastal path. Keep an eye out for the way markers on the way back, which can be hard to spot. The round trip is about 3 miles.
Eilean Glas was one of the first lighthouses built in Scotland, its light being first exhibited in 1789. The present tower dates from 1824, and is by Robert Stevenson. In 1907 a fog signal was installed, and although it was discontinued in 1987, it is still in place. The lighthouse’s two painted red bands act as an aid to navigation, allowing it to be easily identified during the day. In 1978 its light was converted to automatic operation.